Sunday, February 25, 2007

Stirring daily

Earlier this year whilst holidaying with friends in Aldinga, South Australia, we decided to visit a local church there (Incidentally I always feel like its a really healthy thing for believers to seek out cross-cultural experience, and this can simply involve visiting different churches on occasion such as a Catholic mass or a Pentecostal meeting).
Although I can't remember what this church we visited was called, what has stuck out to me (other then the service being held in an old granary) was part of the pastors message: he spoke about the 'need to stir up the Spirit on a daily basis'. It was one of those truths that I already knew, but it still kind off hit me over the head! The Christian walk is about participating with Him, and this involves consciously and willfully 'drawing near to Him as He drawn near to us'. 'Stirring the Spirit' involves worship, bible reading, fellowship, and prayer, and, if we don't do these things on a regular basis, His stream within us begins to still, and soon enough may even run dry or get dirty. I believe the physical discipline of having to eat each day is the same as satisfying spiritual hunger: The Word is our DAILY bread!

'I want you always to bear in mind that it is the nature of a fire to go out; you must keep it stirred and fed and the ashes removed' - William Booth.

Every blessing, Paul

2 comments:

lux said...

amen.

Shauny Boy said...

Amen. Sometime’s we get so caught up with things that we forget.

Me and my mate Pete were coming home from catching up when a police car drove past us. I had this feeling like I needed to pray over the police and the situation. So we prayed.

Pete and I got talking and he goes I sometimes get that feeling too. It must be the spirit wakening us up to the things that happen around us. For us to see more clearly around us and to see and understand where god wants us we need to be lead by the spirit and stirring it up each day is an awesome place to start.
Bless you!