Thursday, April 12, 2007

My roadblock to Holiness

Having made a renewed commitment to complete holiness, I have found three things:
1. It is met with incredible opposition by the enemy;
2. God’s standards for holiness far exceed that of the Church, and
3. It is not easy.
Despite these three things, I am incredibly excited because who knows what can God really do with a holy Army? A divided heart or double minded person will receive nothing of the Lord (James 1:2-8) yet what can He do with a soldier that will not compromise? This is not to say that what we can do is in our strength and ‘holy works’, but how far can a vessel be used of Him when holes of sin and division that make this vessel leak are mended? John .G. Lake under scientific investigation allowed harmful bacteria to be placed on His hands and the holiness of God that was within Lake killed the bacteria - as the amazed doctors discovered. What plans does He have for a holy Army?

And so with the three things that I have found in my pursuit for holiness, as listed above, I respond as follows:
1. Bring it on.
2. Identification and a knowledge of sin that was once considered ‘petty’ can only be a healthy thing.
3. He is not a perfectionist but a Perfector, and he does not ask us to be something (‘be Holy as I am Holy’ – 1 Peter 1:16), or to do something (‘go and sin no more’ (John 8:1-11) if it is not possible and if He will not help. It is hard, but it is the type of hard that is the exhilarating feeling of climbing a mountain to a victorious summit. His victory, even when you struggle, is final, halleluiah!. When I sin I praise Him for making me aware of the sin, for this is moving towards holiness. Further, I don’t have the mind set of ‘not sinning’ but of living each hour in the freedom of the cross: If I can be holy for 1 hour, why not 24? Why not 240? Why not forever? There is complete freedom in Christ!

I called this post ‘My roadblock to holiness’ because I thought it could be helpful to others to share what I have found to be the greatest cause of compromised holiness in my life, and that is, believe it or not, buried or ignored emotional hurts and disappointments. Actually, the more and more I think about it the more convinced I become that many hideous sins we see today find there root in the individuals sinners own hurts, loneliness, and frustrations. I have found that every major sin I have committed was either out of a need to fill a hole that an emotional hurt created, or anger and resentment (most of the time subconscious) directed towards and separating me from God for disappointments or other bad things. For me it is not helpful to ignore problems, and the answer has been to really being completely honest with myself as to when I have been hurt and talking it through with Him and handing it over to Him. Also, worship ALWAYS opens my heart to Him, and it is here where Holiness begins ones more.
Ignoring emotion hurts is my roadblock to holiness, what d you think yours are? Why don’t you share your roadblock so others may not only identify with it but know that victory is possible?!

Holy is He, Paul

4 comments:

james said...

ive gotta think and pray more about that one... great post though!i'll comment again later...

Anonymous said...

yeah great post, with me, it would be the hurts of the past have been buried so deep that i don't even know exacly what they are any more. I just know that they are there.
I think not reflecting on my life on a regular basis also brings allows roadblocks to my personal holiness

Pete Brookshaw said...

Personal holiness is a challenge. But it is something I strive after. After all, ministry would be hypocritical without holiness.

Simon Mapleback said...

Thanks for that post, it's something i've been thinking about for a while now myself, but i havn't put down in writing. Some good points there - thanks